Day 1 - Dallas, TX to Lake Durant, Durant, OK - 113.3 miles (republished)

Saturday was the start to this crazy adventure.  It started with me waking up at 5 am.  A full hour before my alarm and after going to bed at midnight.  I stayed in bed until 6 though as I just couldn't fathom getting up so early.

Erin and I took the dogs for a walk before I left them for a month.  As we got back to the house, my friend, Bill, arrived.  He didn't bring me that donut he promised me though. :(

(Erin and Bill in the driveway as I'm getting ready to leave)

(not sure if I look ready to go or what)

(Bill and I - we had a similar picture on top of some mountain in Colorado a few years ago)



(making sure the inReach is ready to go)

(and he's off)

The ride went pretty well.

About a third of it was just getting out of the DFW.  I took the trail North to the other side of 635 and then Meandering Way up into Plano.  From there it was Ohio to Frisco and Coit out of town.  Being a Saturday morning, I came across a number of cyclists.  I even got to chit chat with the PBA Novice group.  The PBA (Plano Bicycling Association) is a group I rode with a LOT a number of years ago.  It was fun talking with the ride leaders about my trip and a nice way to start off this journey.

As I got out of DFW, it was more or less back country roads up through Celina, Gunter, and then Sherman before getting to the TX / OK line and the Red River.

(stopping for water on my way to Oklahoma)

In 2016, when I drove this route, there was a single lane bridge that crossed the Red River into Oklahoma.  I remember having to wait while a truck was coming the other way.  That bridge has been replaced with a new concrete two-lane bridge and the old one is only open to foot traffic.  I had been looking forward to riding across the old bridge since I saw it, so I decided to ride across it.



(no curbs and it really feels like you're riding a strip of concrete up in the air)

After crossing into Oklahoma, it was more back roads all the way to Durant.  By this time the sun was out in full force and it was getting pretty warm.  Also, I was looking forward to getting off the bike.

I stopped at a Subway in Durant to pick up some food for the evening.  I had just passed a Love's gas station and asked the lady in the Subway if there were any more gas stations / convenience stores up the road or if I should go back to the Love's.  (I wanted to pick up a Dr. Pepper and some food to start the morning off).  Her reply was, "Yup, just up the road."

I don't know if "just up the road" means something different to the people in Durant or if I should have taken a clue from her having a tough time remembering my sandwich after being told twice what it was.  But, there were NO gas stations or convenience stores up the road.  I could have really used that Dr. Pepper at the camp!

About 5 miles and off a side road, I came to my home for the night - Lake Durant.


Before I left, I spoke with the guy that runs the place and he told me they don't have camp sites, but I was welcome to take one of the RV pads.  Apparently, few years ago a family of 4 were riding from Canada to Mexico.  A mom, dad, brother, and sister - the youngest being 8.  They stopped there for the night and he seemed to enjoy the idea that I was riding my bike from TX to VA.  When I asked him how much he want anything!

It was a decent place to stay - more designed for fishing, RV's, and day trips, but it was a place to stop for the night.  The showers didn't work, but I was able to take a "sink shower" and then eat my sandwich in one of the picnic areas.

While I was there, I thought the lake looked kinda small.  But, over the course of the evening a good 6-12 boats come in and when I left the next morning another truck had been waiting an hour to get in.  In looking at Google Maps just now, the lake is quite a bit bigger than I thought.





After eating my sandwich, I set up camp and called Erin.  We talked a couple times.  It was good to talk with her and it helped me feel refreshed from the day.  Which was a good thing because the next day turned out to be a BIG one!

(all set up in some shade on an RV pad)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finishing the TransAmerica Bike Route (Hopewell, VA to Yorktown, VA) - 59.7 miles

Gear Update