Finishing the TransAmerica Bike Route (Hopewell, VA to Yorktown, VA) - 59.7 miles

Erin flew in Monday with her bike.  So, yesterday, she and I rode the last of the TransAmercia Bike Route to Yorktown, VA.

We left my parent's house and rode out over the same draw bridge I rode over Sunday night, then picked up where I left off on the Virginia Capital Trail.  It's a multi-use trail running from Richmond to Williamsburg and is used by runners, cyclists, and walkers.  It's really neat that they created this trail and how long it is (52 miles).  They also seem to take good care of it.  At one point, a truck was driving down it towing a blower to blow stuff off the trail.

(Finally had some company on the road.)

The Capital Trail parallels Route 5 and runs along and through wooded areas and farm land.  Sometimes there were corn fields right next to the trail - so close I could reach out and run my hands through them if I wanted to.  You could even smell the corn (which was amazing if you ask me).

(Back on the Capital Trail.)




(Riding next to row after row of corn.)


(Riding along the trail smelling the corn.  link)





Eventually the Capital Trail ended and we were on this super rough road heading towards Williamsburg.  Unfortunately, that road lasted for the next 20ish miles.  But, at least it was pretty. :)





We stopped at a Barnes and Nobel in Williamsburg to get some water and a soda.  It was at this point that we realized the 51 mile ride to Yorktown was actually going to be 60 miles.



(The roads at this point were rough, but they were beautiful.)

Outside of Williamsburg, we were on the Colonial Parkway which followed the coast of the York River.  You could smell the salt water and it brought back memories of Maine.



Finally, we made it to Yorktown and after riding by the beach, we turned right, up a short, slightly steep hill, and then a left onto the road leading to the Victory Monument.





And, with that, we had come to the end of the TransAmerica Bike Route.  We got our pictures taken by some school kids and rode over to the Yorktown Battlefield Visitor Center to meet my dad and get a ride home (instead of riding our bikes).  I had completed both of my goals - ride from my house to my parent's and ride to the end of the TransAmerica Bike Route.

It's been an awesome adventure!

Comments

  1. very cool... congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job! Let's have margaritas and discuss what your next adventure will be :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UPDATE: Quick Update