Day 9 - Farmington, MO to Carbondale, IL - 91 miles

I left Farmington at pretty much the normal time (7:15) heading for Carbondale, IL - about 91 miles.

Because of where the hotel was, I had to roll through town again and the same roads I had ridden the night before.  This time I took captured some video and took some pictures.  Farmington, MO is a pretty little place.  I rolled out through a residential area and then through the town center.




Once out on the road, I was surprised to see a few wineries.  I only grabbed one shot though.

One did have an orchard of some sort as well, but I couldn't tell what kind of trees they were.


(more country roads)

(a little longer video - riding with Charles)

The 1st half of the day was pretty much back country roads with little traffic.  There were rolling hills and fields for as far as you could see.



(just amazing how the land opens up before you)

I caught another picture of a barn for my friend Jon.


As I dropped down into the floodplains of the Mississippi, the roads got pancake flat.  Off in the distance they were burning a field.




I thought I saw something in the distance and sure enough, after some time, I caught up to Chris.  Chris is from Australia and has been cycling across the country since May 1st.  He left Astoria, OR (one of the terminus of the Trans American Bike Route) and was heading towards Yorktown, then Washington DC, and then New York.  We talked for a little bit as we rode along.  He was amazed at the beauty we have here in the US and remarked that they don't have anything like that in Australia.  He seemed to particularly like Kansas. :)

(catching Chris)

After riding with Chris for a little bit, we wished each other well and I pressed on.

Right before the IL border, I stopped to resupply and snapped this picture.  A number of motorcycles came into the gas station and I thought about asking if they wanted to trade rides.


(just before the bridge crossing into IL, I saw this piece of machinery)

(the bridge into IL - it was narrow and long and I had a semi following me - not fun)

(I had to snap this picture)

Immediately after crossing into IL, I was in Chester.  Chester is the birthplace of Elzie Crisler Segar the creator of Popeye.



From Chester, I could either follow the Trans American Route to Carbondale or take an alternative along SR3 and the Levee road.  The alternative was flatter and 1.5 miles shorter, so I decided to take it.  I don't know if that was a good idea or not.  The reason being is it was out of the woods and in the floodplains unsheltered from the sun and wind.  The 22 miles on SR3 to 149 were some of the more trying roads I've been on so far.  A constant headwind and the sun coupled with a saddle that just didn't want to get comfortable made it for a tough ride.

When I turned on 149, I noticed a bait shop and the signs said they had food as well, so I pulled in.  After picking up some things, I sat outside to rest for a bit.  A couple older gentlemen came out of the building and decided to take a smoke break.  One of them asked about my trip and we made small talk until it was time for me to leave.  They gave me some directions so I could take some local back roads into Murphysboro and avoid the traffic and hills.  I was extremely grateful for that!

From there it was just a few more miles to Carbondale.  I was actually ahead of schedule and needed to kill some time, so I picked up a Subway sandwich and ate it there before heading over to the hotel for the night.

So far, I've ridden 845 miles in 9 days (7 of which on the bike) averaging 120 miles per day!

I'm taking the next day off!

Comments

  1. Chester is where my family is from. Also did you know that Missouri saved france from a grape blight in the 1800s? Almost all French grapes are now from Missouri!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finishing the TransAmerica Bike Route (Hopewell, VA to Yorktown, VA) - 59.7 miles

Gear Update