Not too shabby



Well, as I eluded to the other night, last night was to be a threshold test.  I've been riding a lot, dropped some weight, and the legs have been feeling stronger.  That combined with some efforts during the rides I've done, I figured my threshold might have moved a little.

For those not familiar with threshold and what all this means.  Think of it as you would Max Heart Rate and training using that (like, maybe, running, I guess).  Basically, I have a device on my bike (a power meter) that measures how hard I'm pedaling, in watts.  Cars measure horsepower, cyclists use watts.

Just like you can determine your max heart rate (and, even, threshold heart rate) based on some efforts, you can do the same with a power meter to determine threshold power.  I then use that information to set up training zones (also like using your heart rate).  With these training zones, I am able to better structure my training for racing, for building endurance to ride like (like to Virginia from Texas), etc..

So, anyways, I guess my threshold went up... 297w for 20 minutes and in the last 3:30, I averaged 317w, so I could have done a little better.  For perspective, back in October, I did 280w for 20 minutes.

I'm very happy with this.  It's still not where I was when I was racing tons (and weighed tons less), but the numbers are getting better and I'm feeling better, so, what's not to be happy about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finishing the TransAmerica Bike Route (Hopewell, VA to Yorktown, VA) - 59.7 miles

Gear Update