Route to Virginia

I have been asked a number of times about the route I will be taking on my ride to Virginia.  Below is a rough outline of that route:


You'll have to ignore the lines West of Oklahoma City and Tulsa, OK and the lines West and Northeast of Springfield, MO.  To create this route, I took a number of .GPX files and merged them together.  But, the above image gives a good overview of the route.

I came up with the route by combining a number of established routes from the Adventure Cycling Association using their Interactive Network Map.  In particular Bicycle Route 66 and TransAmerican Trail.  Since neither of those routes (or any other route) ran through Dallas, I used Strava Labs Heat Map to create my own route from Dallas to Tulsa.

The Adventure Cycling Association has a lot of great information about endurance cycling and produces some really great materials (maps, magazine, etc.).  I bought a number of their maps (obviously) and have learned a lot from the information on their website.

So, there it is.  That's the route I'm planning to follow in just under two weeks.  It'll take me from Dallas, TX to Yorktown, VA (about 50 miles East of my parent's home).  When totaled up, it comes to 1,956.5 miles.  Knowing me, I'll probably find an additional 43.5 miles so I can click over 2,000 miles.  We'll see though.  Maybe I'll never want to ride a bike again!

Comments

  1. Or maybe you'll want to do this every year (-;

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finishing the TransAmerica Bike Route (Hopewell, VA to Yorktown, VA) - 59.7 miles

Gear Update