Day 11 - Carbondale, IL to Marion, KY - 95.9 miles

Today started feeling kinda slow. It seemed like the first 20 or so miles took longer than they should have. But, then the day went by pretty quick and I was done with 95.9 miles and at the church where I'm staying for the night. 

It was partly cloudy for most of the morning, but by noon the sun had come out. 

I rode through various back country roads and park roads. The rolling hills were beautiful. 

Along the way, I saw two deer and heard what I believe was another rustling in the woods as I rode by. 





As I was riding, I saw a number of cyclists going in the opposite direction. 20 or 30 total across a few miles. When I stopped at a corner store, there were 3 or 4 of their group inside. It turns out they are group riding from Yorktown, VA to San Francisco, CA raising money and awareness for Multiple Sclerosis. They are following the Trans American Bike route West till Pueblo then taking the Western route to CA. They left June 1st and were 1100 miles in. We talked for a bit while I was drinking a Coke and eating a Snickers bar. Outside they were pretty impressed with my bike and setup. We wished each other well and I was off. 

Eventually I caught up to Antonio Lopez who is racing the TransAm. I say I caught up to him, but in reality, I got with 10 feet of him and he must have thought I was a racer because he started pedalling harder and pulled away. After a few miles, I was pulling him in again when he stopped to clean his glasses. I stopped too and we talked for a minute. 


("Catching" Antonio)

I rode on for a while and then saw another rider. It was Tanja Hacker another racer. 


I pulled up side of her and we talked. She was just about out of water, so I offered her some of mine. I had plenty since I had just filled up 10 miles before. Then, I was off again. 




It wasn't to much further and I came to the highlight of the ride, a ferry ride across the Ohio River into Kentucky. 






And, with that I was in my 6th State of the trip - Kentucky!  The home of loose dogs (or so I've heard). 




It wasn't to much longer and I had arrived at my destination for the evening - Marion, KY and a cycling hostel hosted by the local Methodist Church. They've been hosting cyclists riding the Trans Am for 41 years!

One of the church members gave me the tour of the place, showed me where the shower was, and where to sleep. He had me fill out the guest book and took a picture which he'll print out and put in the book. Then he left. There's a possibility others will arrive too, but as of now, I have the whole church to myself. 


(The guest books for the last 5 or 6 years)


(My home for the night)

Tomorrow I'm headed to Rough River Resort State Park. Should be 113 or 116 miles. There is a chance of rain here and there, but hopefully it won't be bad. 

Comments

  1. I enjoyed following your ride yesterday thru southern Illinois as it brought back memories of a lot of weekends rock climbing at Jackson Falls a few miles north of Robbs, IL (Highway 147).

    Enjoy Kentucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Todd. I looked up Jackson Falls and it looks great. Kentucky has been beautiful so far. I'm sure it's only going to get better the closer I get to the Appalachians.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finishing the TransAmerica Bike Route (Hopewell, VA to Yorktown, VA) - 59.7 miles

Gear Update