Day 13 - Rough River Resort State Park to Springfield, KY - 93.6 miles

Before I talk about the ride today, I just have to mention breakfast. I had it at the lodge. I had a bacon, egg, and cheese muffin. It was awesome! 😁

Anyways, the ride started in the rain just as forecasted. Fortunately, it never turned into a downpour or thunderstorm. I'm not fond of riding in the rain, but it really wasn't bad. 


(My view as I left the room this morning)


(Wet roads didn't make for many pictures, but I did pull over to take this one.)

Somewhere around 12 miles in, I caught up to a guy I rode with the other day when crossing into Illinois. It was Chris from Australia. It was a pleasant surprise!  

We rode and talked for a while and caught up on how things had been going. He's really enjoying Kentucky - so much different than where he's from.  He told me about an awesome hostel in Sebree that he stayed in. It was in a Baptist Church and they had homemade lasagna. Apparently, it was pretty amazing. What's more, the pastor refused to take any money. He's also met many of the TransAm racers I've met and he's enjoyed hearing about their races. 

Chris also mentioned that he's been amazed at the generousity of the people he's met. From the pastor and the people at that church to the guys giving a TransAm racer a ride into town to get his bike fixed to the couple handing out Gatorades and letting him sleep in their room last night. 

Eventually, Chris and I parted ways and I rode on. Also, before long the rain stopped. It remained overcast which wasn't a bad thing because it kept the temps down. 


In Sonora I deviated from the Trans Am route. Google maps showed a shorter route and I'm not opposed to riding a little less. 😁

I'm glad I did take the Google route because I came across Lincoln's boyhood home. 



I also came across Kentucky's Railroad Museum. I've always liked old trains, so I had to stop and take some pictures. 





After a while, I rejoined the Trans Am route. 


One of the town's I rode through was Loretto. I should have known it by the smell, but Loretto is the home of Marker's Mark bourbon. It was strong enough that I almost got drunk riding through. 😂

There were countless number of these black buildings. 



Near the end of the day, I came down the road and saw this. It kinda sums up the day - overcast skies, country roads, old brdges, and barns. 


Tonight, I'm staying in the Springfield Inn in Springfield. I still need to look at tomorrow, but I think my destination will be Berea, KY. Only 75 miles, so a "short" day.

The bike has been cleaned and lubed and is ready to take me down the road!


EDIT: I just have to mention this hill I went down shortly after Chris and I parted ways. It was super steep, it was still raining, the road was soaked, and there were two 90 degree turns on the way down. 

On my other bikes with their rim brakes and carbon wheels, it would have been major pucker time to say the least (very little stopping power in the wet). But not with this bike. It's disk brakes were amazing.

Don't tell my friend Troy I said that though. 😁


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finishing the TransAmerica Bike Route (Hopewell, VA to Yorktown, VA) - 59.7 miles

Gear Update