Day 20 - Damascus, VA to Radford, VA - 103.2 miles

Today, I rode 103 miles to Radford, VA.  It started out overcast, but as the day went on, the sun started to come out. It's was still partly to mostly cloudy most of the day, but it was nice change to the gray rainy days the last few days. 

Right out of Damascus, the roads headed upwards.  In the first 26 miles, I had 3 big climbs in succession.  The first was the hardest being the steepest. The second was more gradual and, I think longer.  Third was relatively short at 2 miles or so. 

The climbs were really pretty. Trees everywhere and a stream running down the mountains. The noise from the stream was very loud.



(I rode through the Mount Rodgers National Recreation Area.)

After the first and second climbs, there were some short (2-5 mile) descents before starting the next climb.  In these areas, there was civilization and then it was onto the next climb.


(An old church I saw along the way)

The second climb was the highest at just over 3,600 feet.  It took me up into a cloud and on the way down, the sun started coming out for the first time

(Riding into a cloud.)

When I finished the third big climb of the day and got down the initial descent, I stopped to resupply.  While at the store, I met Cassidy.  He's been riding from Washington DC and is headed to Seattle.  We chit chatted for a little bit and wished each other well.

From there the roads were more or less rollers - small at first and larger as the day went on.  The route sloped in a general down hill direction all the way to Radford and for the longest time I was cruising at 25-30 mph and it was awesome.

The country side really opened up more today than it's been the last few days.  Rolling hills, open lands, farms, etc..  Different from the more closed in roads in Eastern Kentucky.

I didn't get a picture of him, but at one point, I came across a guy named Tom who had left Santa Monica in January and was walking across the country.  He should be in New York in a month and that's where his trip will end.  We talked about how great the people we've met have been and he took a picture of me (still don't know why I didn't get one of him).  He seemed like a really nice guy and when I asked him why he was doing it, he just said no reason, he just wanted to do it.  Sorta like my trip I suppose.








After a while, the route started to parallel Interstate 81.  That wouldn't have been so bad had there not been some major backup on the interstate.  Because of the issues on the highway, a lot of cars and semi-trucks were on the same road as me.  It was definitely stressful.

Later, I crossed paths with two guys in the TransAm race - Tom Kacpura and Bolestaw Kowalski.  They had stopped on a short hill and were putting on sunscreen.  We all commented on the traffic and the semi's.  They're hoping to be in Yorktown by Sunday.  We wished each other well and I was off again.

Eventually, I got to the end of my ride for the day.

I crossed over the river into Radford and the route took me off the roads and onto a multi-use trail (MUT) for a little bit.  I had heard there was a tunnel to ride through and sure enough, I found it.  Unfortunately, the tunnel was just a long, paved culvert.  Nothing to spectacular.  But, still, the trail was nice.

(Crossing the river into Radford.)

(The Multi-Use Trail in Radford.)

Tonight, I'm staying at the La Quinta Inn.  Tomorrow, it's 105 miles to Lexington, VA.  It's mainly rolling hills with a couple smaller climbs.  After that, it's one more day of big climbs over the Blue Ridge Parkway and then down into Charlotteville.  Then, the next day, downhill all the way to my parents.  Depending how I feel, I'll make my parents Sunday night.  If I do that, it'll mean 150 miles on Sunday.  My legs are starting to get really tired and my knees have been buggy me some, so we'll see.

Either way, it should be an adventure!

(My trusty steed at the hotel.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finishing the TransAmerica Bike Route (Hopewell, VA to Yorktown, VA) - 59.7 miles

Gear Update