Day 22 - Lexington, VA to Charlottesville, VA - 78.6 miles

I wasn't sure how today was going to go.  Especially after how yesterday started and knowing the type of roads I was going to climb today.  Basically, I was climbing over the last of the mountains on my trip up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and then back down again.  I had been told it was going to a steep climb and they were right.

Heading out of Lexington, I went over a serious of "rollercoasters" as Rick from yesterday called them.  And then I was on a flat road all the way to Vesuvius.  Well, in fact, was a false flat most of the way.








(Never a good sign when you see this on your Garmin!)


Once in Vesuvius it was uphill and by uphill, I mean UPHILL!  3.5 miles of 6-12% grades - mostly 9%.

Something interesting about riding for a long time at grades over 10%.  When you drop down to 9%, it feels easy!  At one point, I looked down to see why it felt so easy and noticed I was still at 9.6%, but the previous 10-12% grades made it seem so much easier... and faster.

Oh, and other thing about climbing such grades.  You're going to slow the nats can keep up!  Boy did I have some choice words for them. :)
 



(One of the many bridges on the BRP.)

Just like last year when I rode my motorcycle along the Blue Ridge Parkway, it didn't fail to amaze.  Some of the vistas were truly breath taking!









While on the Blue Ridge Parkway, I saw a number of cyclists.  As I came to find out from a couple guys I rode, people will drive up onto the parkway and ride it for however long they want and then turn around and head back.  The group they were part of drove up from Richmond that morning.  They were really nice and even invited me to join them for some beer and BBQ if I didn't have so far left to go.  I thanked them and kept on my way.

I didn't get many pictures after I left the BRP because of the steep descent and then the quickish ride into Charlottesville.

On the way down, I was running out of water.  I didn't think it would be a problem because I knew I would be going through Afton.  Well, if you blink, you definitely would miss Afton and there wasn't any place to get water.  Luckily, there was a young couple working on their house and they were all to happy to share some water with me.

While I was there, the husband (I can't remember his name) was "geeking out" on showing me pictures of the house from back in the 20's and 30's while his wife was laughing at him.

The house was built back in the 1920's or earlier and they had bought it 3 years ago and were working on restoring it.  It was really a neat place and I wish I had thought to take a picture.  Stone in the front, wood in the back.  450 feet square feet and so much history in the land around it.  They've cleared a lot of the overgrowth and the neighbor has planted trees on the lot next to them, but it used to be farm land right there on the side of the mountain.  It was really nice to meet them and, once again, they were so nice and willing to help me in any way I needed.

One of the things that "inspired" me to ride this route to my parents was the movie/documentary Inspired to Ride.  I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but it's the story of the first TransAm bike race 5 years ago.  Towards the end of the movie, Mike Hall stops at a country store to get something to eat and drink.  While there, he meets some of the locals and I remember him commented that he couldn't understand what they were saying.  It's a scene from the movie/documentary that stuck out in my memory.

Well, I came around a corner and up a short hill and there was the store.  I didn't really need anything, but I decided to stop by and get a soda and some pop tarts anyways.  And, wouldn't you know it, one of the guys in the documentary was there too - Junior!

The folks there were just a funny and happy as they were in the film.  And, I don't know, but I had no problem understanding everyone and even joined in some of the banter.  It was one of the highlights of the day to say the least!

(The country store from Inspired to Ride.)

After that stop, it wasn't too too long and I was in Charlottesville and at my hotel for the night.  78.6 miles in the books.  150 miles and one more day (if the legs cooperate) to my parents.  This trip has been fun and I'm not sure how I feel about it being just about over.  There have been times when I've wanted to be finished, but there's a part of me that isn't sure it's ready to go back to the real world.

Comments

  1. Just remember you'll always have the memories close to your heart ... the exhilaration from accomplishing your goal, in the timeframe allotted, with all the pictures taken to document your journey, and the many wonderful people you met along the way. Even when you wanted to be finished, nothing will ever compare to that solitary stroll through that beautiful part of the country. Often we pass so fast in a car and can barely watch because we're driving. But you made it a priority, put the in effort and grabbed the opportunity to enjoy the ups and downs "in person" feeling the sun, the wind, and rain, while the road passed under your wheels / feet, taking in the smells (some good, some bad) ... just breathtaking being one face-to-face with nature's beauty. What an experience! What an accomplishment! Thanks for sharing it with us. Congratulations Charles!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finishing the TransAmerica Bike Route (Hopewell, VA to Yorktown, VA) - 59.7 miles

Gear Update