Day 3 - Tulsa, OK - 0 miles

I took yesterday off.

The original plan was to ride into Tulsa from a park just outside of Henryetta, OK - about 64 miles - but I was feeling so good on Sunday that I rode the whole way to Tulsa.  I had a reservation at the Best Western on Houston Avenue for the night and figured it would be a good chance to reassess how the bike was doing, pick up any supplies (sun screen!) I needed, and get some good food before the bulk of the trip.

The day started with a 1.1 mile walk to Dilly Dinner in the Blue Dome district for breakfast.  A few years ago some friends and I ate there after racing in Tulsa Tough.  The food was good then and it's still good now.

(the frittata was very good, but the griddle cakes were amazing)

After breakfast I headed back to the hotel.  I wanted to update this blog and find a store to get some supplies.  I left Dallas without sun screen and really wanted to get some of that.  I also wanted to see if I could find some sun sleeves for my arms.

(not sure what this park is called, but it was a nice area on my way back to the hotel)

(prairie schooners)

Later in the day, I took an Uber to the Blue Dome district to the Fleet Feet Sports store.  I also visited the Phat Tire Bike Shop store next door.  I was hoping to find some sun sleeves before getting dinner at El Guapo's.

I didn't find the sun sleeves at the Fleet Feet Sports, but they did have some sun screen they really liked.  The bottle was a bit bigger than I wanted, so I picked up a GU flask to carry just what I needed.  Amanda and Deanna were great and very friendly.  They were very excited when I mentioned that I was riding from TX to VA.  They asked if I had a blog and for it's address and said they would be following me.

Hi, Amanada and Deanna!  Thanks so much for the help and the maps were back in the hotel room.



(I don't suggest eating what's in that flask)

(I found some sun sleeves at the Phat Tire)

After getting an Uber back to the hotel room to make sure my maps were there and not in the Uber that brought me to Fleet Feet, I headed to El Guapo's for some margaritas (and fajitas).  Their margaritas are pretty good (and big) and they've got roof top seating.  When I came through here last year (on my motorcycle), I enjoyed sitting on the roof drinking a couple margaritas.  It was really too warm to do that yesterday, but the margaritas were still good. :)

(margaritas, chips, and salsa - the reward for 300 miles)

After dinner, I went back to the hotel and started looking at the weather.  Some time during the day I found out rain and thunderstorms were in the forecast and I wanted to find out where else along my route they were going to be.

As it turned out, they were predicting thunderstorms for Tulsa Tuesday morning and, to a lesser extent, Wednesday morning.  Also, between Tulsa and Joplin (my next stop) they were predicting rain and maybe thunderstorms Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.  That coupled with what I saw this morning, I have decided to spend another day in Tulsa and will be heading out tomorrow morning.  The good news is, if they weather people are correct, I should have dry weather once get out of Tulsa for the next 6 or 7 days.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finishing the TransAmerica Bike Route (Hopewell, VA to Yorktown, VA) - 59.7 miles

Gear Update