Day 7 - Marshfield, MO to Eminece, MO - 108 miles

Yesterday was 108 miles of rolling hills with some really tough kickers towards the end. I rode from Marshfield to Eminece.  Starting in Marshfield, I was finally on the TransAmerican bike route. I'll be on that route until the end in Yorktown, VA. 

The day started with meeting Donncha Cuttriss in the hotel I was staying at. He's currently in 6th place in the TransAm bike race. He left before I did, but I caught him about 82 miles into my day. We rode more less together until we parted ways in Eminece. We didn't talk about much of anything of note, just normal chit chat and a little about the race, but not much.  I found out he is from New Zealand and this his fourth time doing the race. His race had been going pretty good and he was hoping to finish the entire 4400 mile route in 20 days.


(Catching Donncha)

On my way out on Marshfield, I came across a road crew applying chipseal. Oh boy!

Beyond that the route was mainly country roads in "cattle country" as I was told it's called. 




(I'm on US bike route 76)




(The easy rollers before the hard stuff)


(Riding along)

Somewhere along the way, I came across what I can only describe as a country store. I almost didn't see it. I stopped to get some supplies. 


It was run by a father and his two sons. They were about 6 and 8. They had already seen 3 cyclists and wanted to know if I was racing too. 

We talked for a while and they had me sign their guest book. The oldest was pretty interested in the cyclists and the race. 

All told, I saw 7 cyclists during the day. 6 of which were heading West. Everyone waved and they appeared to be happy. Knowing what I know now about the roads ahead of me (and behind them) I can understand their smiles!

As I got close to Eminece, the hills got really, REALLY steep.  Imagine pushing as hard as you can and only going 4 mph.  Eventually I made it though.  I was entering the Ozarks National Scenic Riverways. 

 

Eminece, from what I could see, is a town of a couple hundred people at the intersection of two highways.  There's a river and tourists come to tube and play in the river. Also a number of old fashioned shops ranging from saddle repair to cowboy boots to duck calls and a Mexican restaurant with the best quesidilla I've had. (The margarita was just alright) 




I stayed in The River's Edge Inn. It was a nice place to get a shower and some sleep. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finishing the TransAmerica Bike Route (Hopewell, VA to Yorktown, VA) - 59.7 miles

Gear Update